Monday, February 1, 2010

Red Lotus

This is a block of wood that I will begin cutting into at some point this week to create a woodblock Print. I once saw Tom Huck, founder of Evil Prints studio in St Louis, speak on wood cutting techniques.. He advised us to stain the wood red with a large red permanent marker so that we could better see our cuts. The black sharpie ink serves as a design guide and remains behind, it will be the desired printed image.

This is my first woodcut since listening to Tom Huck and I think I like the dynamic of the red and black design.... Feeling inspired to explore this visual imagery further.. perhaps with different materials or experimenting with printing the image on different papers..

I like the simplicity of the Lotus image. I find it relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment